- Go to Options and select Books.
- All of the PODD books you have created will be displayed here. To create a new one, tap Add New Book.
- Select a version (either US letter, or Australian A4). Tap Next.
- You will need to select a book to create. This does not have to be the same as the page set that you use in the app. Tap Next.
- Name your book. You should pick a name that is easy to recognize, as some users may have more than one book. Once you have entered a name, tap Next.
- SimPODD will ask you some basic setup questions, such as if the user goes to school, their gender, and how the user will interact with the book (pointing, partner assisted scanning, etc.).
- You will also be asked if you want to customize optional pages. Each book has optional pages which allows you to customize them to each user. You are only able to customize these optional pages when you create the book. Tap Next. If you selected NO, your book will be created.
- If you selected YES, customize your Optional Pages. Tap Done to create the PODD book. You can now customize it by adding or changing symbols, adding or changing optional pages, and can export it for printing.
Differences between PODD digital page sets and PODD books in simPODD
simPODD is the only app that offers electronic and paper PODD the same app.
However, please note that it is not possible to directly print the electronic page sets in simPODD. Electronic page sets and paper PODD books are completely separate in simPODD.
We worked in close collaboration with Gayle Porter, the creator of PODD. She has designed PODD books and electronic pages sets in different ways:
- In the electronic page sets there is no navigation menu that you need in the books.
- Electronic page sets are only available with 15 and 60 buttons per page.
- There is a full range of PODD books available, from 9 to 100 buttons per page, in one-page or two-page opening.
Once you have created and edited your book you can export it to a computer, review the PDF and then print it.