Who we are
AssistiveWare's journey started more than 20 years ago. Giesbert Nijhuis, friend of founder David Niemeijer, became paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident. He found himself in need of an on-screen keyboard and David took on the challenge and developed one. Giesbert could now access his Mac and use Photoshop, enabling him to pick up graphic design again. This keyboard became our first product - KeyStrokes.
We're now leading assistive technology pioneers. We are committed to empowering people with communication difficulties through technology and implementation support.
We're based in a beautifully renovated historic building in the heart of Amsterdam. Our team spans three continents, over ten nationalities and includes two office cats. We are proud to collaborate with our users to make sure our apps best serve their needs. Our users continue to play a crucial role in who we are.
What we do
We want to help build a world without communication barriers. We now support over 300,000 people around the world. Our key milestones include:
- 2002: We developed the first universal access solution for Mac OS X, KeyStrokes
- 2009: Proloquo2Go is the first full featured Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) app for iOS
- 2012: We developed the world’s first children’s genuine Text to Speech voices together with Acapela Group
- 2015: We created the first fully bilingual symbol-based AAC solution
- 2016: AssistiveWare Core Word Classroom was born. Today over 10,000 people use this resource to learn AAC best practices.
We know there is more to do, so we'll continue to innovate and collaborate. We look forward to sharing our progress with you!
We welcome you to get in touch with us at any time.