Start using different communication functions
Looking at communication functions is a valuable strategy for planning AAC goals and targeting words to model.
Follow the links below for more strategies to get started communicating:
- Start modeling
- Activity-specific vs. balanced vocabulary
- Build communication partner skills
- Engage and interact
Links & References
- American Speech and Hearing Association. Language in Brief. [Article]
- AssistiveWare. Stalled at choice-making and requesting. [Article]
- AssistiveWare Core Word Classroom. List of Communication Functions. [Link to website]
- Langley, Rachael. (2018). Building AAC awareness: Using AAC to express a range of functions. [Blog post]
- Sheldon, Erin & Barthère, Magali. What is PODD?. [Blog post]
- Wetherby, A. & Prizant, B. (1989). The expression of communicative intent: Assessment issues. Seminars in Speech and Language, 10, 77-91.