From preparing lesson plans to keeping up with the latest in educational technology, you do everything you can so your students can reach their full potential. When preparing for back to school, it is important to plan ahead. Have a game plan and be calm, be cool, and be organized!
Here are some tips to help you prepare for going back to school and to make sure your students leave your classroom with a smile:
- Update to the latest versions of Proloquo2Go and iOS. The most recent Proloquo2Go update (version 5.1.1) was released in July. If you haven’t already done so, we recommend you update as it brings many new features and improvements. For example, Search and Progressive Language. Search allows you to find a word within your Crescendo vocabulary. Proloquo2Go doesn’t just find you the word so you can use it, it also teaches the navigational pathway to find the word. And Progressive Language supports your AAC learner progress to full communication. Proloquo2Go 5 requires iOS 10.2 or up, so you may also need to update your version of iOS.
- Update your student’s vocabulary. During the summer, things may have changed like new hobbies and interests. There are also new staff members and classmates to add. Make sure you update the Proloquo2Go vocabulary with your student, so you can add vocabulary that is important to them.
- Save a backup of your student’s vocabulary. To be sure you do not lose any of your customizations, it is very important to always have a recent backup saved. We strongly encourage you to also manually save and export backups using Dropbox, Google Drive, iTunes File Sharing, or Connect to Computer (WiFi) after any major customizations. Learn more here: Automatic and manual backups to Dropbox, Google Drive & iCloud
- Check out the collection of resources on our AssistiveWare website. Visit the AssistiveWare Core Word Classroomfor materials on teaching strategies including modeling, literacy development and the descriptive teaching method. With resources for AAC use in the classroom and beyond, the AssistiveWare Core Word Classroom is an especially useful tool for teachers, therapists and other AAC professionals. We also encourage you to visit our website to access other resources. Check out our AssistiveWare Blog for articles on topics related to AAC, literacy, best practices and implementation.
- Connect with other professionals. AssistiveWare hosts a closed Facebook group for professional teachers and therapists who use Proloquo2Go and Proloquo4Text. This group shares relevant research, AAC best practices, articles and materials along with peer to peer support and idea exchanges. Be sure to join!
Information compiled by the AssistiveWare Support Team. You can reach the team at email@example.com. They are available 7 days a week and always happy to help!